Sterling, called “Woonkechauxitt” by the Nashawogg tribe of Indians who inhabited the area, was settled in 1720. Apple orchards thrived in the fertile soil and apple cider making became an important industry, earning the town the nickname “Appletown.”
The Butterick Pattern Company was started here in 1863.
Perhaps the town’s most remembered inhabitant is Mary Sawyer, who, in 1814, was followed to school by on little white lamb. A visiting student from Harvard Divinity School composed a poem about her. A statue in tribute to “Mary’s Little Lamb” stands on Sterling’s very attractive Common.
The common, actually owned by the Unitarian Society, has other monuments and two stone chairs found in the area, believed to be Indian artifacts.
Sterling maintains a town beach, Sholan Park, on the shores of Lake Waushacum. The town celebrates the Fourth of July with a huge picnic held at the park. Swimming lessons are also available to town children there during the summer.
Sterling is ideally located on Interstate 190, which links Worcester and Leominster. Town residents are also only minutes away from Route 2 and the 495 belt around Boston. Commuting is easy and convenient.
Why not consider Sterling for your next home!?